There are a plethora of tasty fruits and vegetables that are ready for the picking this time of year, as you may have seen in our two previous spring-spirited posts. Here to help you utilize your knowledge of what's in season, we've composed a list of recipes from simple to more complex. Prep time & cook time: 2 minutes to 2 hours. It all really depends on you.
Total Time: 10-15 minutes There are a plethora of tasty fruits and vegetables that are ready for the picking this time of year, as you may have seen in our two previous spring-spirited posts.
Here to help you utilize you r knowledge of what's in season, we've composed a list of recipes from simple to more complex. Prep time & cook time: 2 minutes to 2 hours. It all really depends on you.
In a bowl, mix the following ingredients.
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
[Recipe brought to you by Whole Foods]
Fresh Peas With Lettuce & Green Garlic Recipe
Serving Size: 4 people
Total Time: approx. 10-15 minutes
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 small stalks green garlic, thinly sliced, or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 small heads butter lettuce (about 6 oz.), washed, cored, and torn into large pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over medium heat; add garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add peas and cook until bright green and tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in remaining butter, along with lettuce and 1 tbsp. water, season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat. Stir until lettuce is just wilted, about 1 minute.
Apple Salad (Contains Celery)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour & 15 minutes
- 2 large apples diced (Honey crisp recommended)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Place apples, celery and walnuts in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir mayonnaise and sugar until smooth.
- Pour mayonnaise over apples/celery/walnuts and mix well.
Four the best taste, refrigerate 1 hour before serving.*Tip of the trade:
*Tip of the trade: the recipe can be easily doubled, if you would like more of this tasty goodness.
[Recipe brought to you by Ann Drake]
Recipes that Requires More TLC ~ Time Looking and Cooking
Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
Serving Size: Makes 1 smoothie
Total Time: 5-15 minutes
Filled with delectable fruits of the season, you can feel happy about both the health benefits and flavor packed into this smoothie.
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple (fresh in juice recommended)
- 1/2-1 cup ice cube
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Want to make it vegan or lactose-free friendly? Swap out the skim milk for almond, soy, or rice milk.
Fill the blender with all this refreshing ingredients and blend until the liquid has smoothed.
Feel free to alter the ice input based on desired consistency--thinner or thicker.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
This recipe is a healthy make-over of a family favorite recipe.
Serving size: makes 5 cups
- 2 (14 oz) cans artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1(10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 (8 oz) block 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened and cut in 1/2" cubes
- 1 (8 oz) block fat-free cream cheese, softened and cut in 1/2" cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (optional garnish)
Slow Cooker Method: Coat the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients except the red bell pepper. Stir to combine, cover and cook until heated through. 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours on high, 3 to 4 hours on low. [Recipe can be doubled].
Oven Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set aside half of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. In a large bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients but the red bell pepper. Spoon mixture into greased or sprayed 1& 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining cheeses. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes of until bubbly and golden.
To Serve: Sprinkle cooked dip with diced red pepper, if desired. Serve warm with crackers, tortilla chips, pita chips, crostini, or raw vegetables.
[Recipe by Yummy Life]
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Serving Size: 8 people
Total Time: 2 hours (1 to prep, 1 to cook)
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- looking for a healthy alternative? Try Arrowroot!
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 egg beaten for glaze
- sugar (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch of arrowroot, lemon juice and cinnamon in a bowl.
- On lightly floured surface, roll our half of the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate.
- Spoon in the filling from the bowl.
- Roll our the pastry for top crust: using pastry wheel or knife, cut into 1-inch wide strips.
- Beat eff and brush pastry rim with some of the egg.
- Gently weave strips over the pic to form lattice; trim and flute the edge.
- Brush lattice with the rest of the beaten egg. Sprinkle top with sugar if using.
- Bake on a baking sheet with the sides in the oven for 15 minutes.
*Tip of the trade: If you do not have a cookie sheet handy, make a drip catcher out of foil paper, larger than the bottom of thepie plate, and place it under the pie plate and up the sides loosely.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for 50 to 60 minutes more or until rhubarb is tender, filling is thickened and crust is golden.
- Let the pie cool off for 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.
- Enjoy the nutrient-rich ingredients and taste!
[Recipe from Canadian Living Magazine; May 1993]